Jiangnan tribute academy is located in the east of Confucius Temple School palace, Qinhuai District, Nanjing. Jiangnan Gongyuan starts from Yaojia Lane in the East, Gongyuan West Street in the west, Qinhuai River in the South and Jiankang road in the north. It is one of the main architectural complexes in the Confucius Temple area. It is the largest and most influential imperial examination hall in Chinese history.
Jiangnan tribute Academy was founded in the fourth year of Qiandao reign of emperor Xiaozong of Song Dynasty (1169). Jiangnan tribute academy experienced generations of repair and expansion and reached its peak in the Ming and Qing Dynasties. There were 20644 examination houses alone, covering an area of more than 300000 square meters. There were 20644 examination houses alone, plus hundreds of ancillary buildings, covering an area of more than 300000 square meters. With its large scale and wide land occupation, it ranks first among the tribute Institutes of all provinces in China and is the largest imperial examination room in ancient China.
In the early Qing Dynasty, Nanjing was the capital of Jiangnan Province, so the tribute court has always used the name of "Jiangnan tribute court".
During the reign of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty, the imperial examination system was abolished and the Jiangnan tribute academy stopped learning from scholars.
In 1919, the tribute court was demolished. In addition to leaving the Mingyuan building, Hengjian hall and some number houses in the tribute court as historical relics, the rest were demolished and turned into a market.
Jiangnan tribute Academy was later transformed into China's imperial examination Museum. It is the only professional museum in China that reflects China's imperial examination system. It is the center of China's imperial examination system, China's imperial examination culture center and China's imperial examination cultural relics collection center.